For several years now, Cascaders have been supporting a number of initiatives to optimize the multi-material recycling program in Cascades’s various units. Because our company’s activities are built on the recycling of waste paper, it is only natural that we would introduce measures so that certain materials can benefit other industries that, like us, give a second life to residual materials.
We are pleased to report that the Cascades Kingsey Falls complex, which houses 17 units (6 manufacturing plants and 11 service units), is again this year a recipient of the ICI ON RECYCLE* level 3 – performance gold seal awarded by the government corporation RECYC-QUÉBEC*. To achieve the “performance” level, a minimum of 70% of residual material generated must be reclaimed. The Kingsey Falls complex has been able to reclaim 98.63% of its residual material using the various measures put in place. And we are not the only ones: 344 Quebec companies* have also reached level 3.
Are you interested in implementing a similar program in your organization? Here are a few tips that may help:
- Determine what types of materials your activities generate;
- Talk to your employees to hear their concerns (location of residual materials collection, current work processes);
- Install bins for each type of material that you wish to collect;
- Clearly identify the bins;
- Consider a colour-coding system for your collection bins and related signage;
- Name one person to be in charge of the residual material management program, and incorporate these new responsibilities in their annual evaluation;
- Acknowledge your employees’ efforts with a group reward;
- Continue to inform, educate, innovate and raise awareness among teams.
Note also that RECYC-QUÉBEC is organizing a regional tour from October 3 to December 4, 2012, to increase awareness among industry, commerce and institutions (ICI) about implementing a multi-material recycling program. Click here* for full details.
There are also several other organizations that can help you launch a multi-material recycling program, including the Conseils régionaux de l’environnement du Québec* and the Table pour la récupération hors foyer,* which even offers financial assistance to certain organizations to offset the purchase of materials. On your mark, get set, recycle!
* Links are available only in French.